Top Batsman Betting Market: Overview
- The top batsman betting market typically requires you to predict the player you think will score the highest runs for his team.
- Some bookmakers offer variations of this highly profitable cricket betting market, depending on the game format.
- It is usually only available for pre-match betting.
- Players’ odds will vary based on factors, including their recent performances, type of wicket, and match venue (home or away). For example, Faf du Plessis scores consistently in a few games, and his odds would change accordingly to reflect his form.
Rules For Top Batsman Betting
There can be situations where the batsman you chose for this bet does not end up playing, or the game itself is cancelled due to bad weather. To factor in all these anomalies, there are a few rules to the top batsman betting market, as we shall see below:
- Dead-heat rules apply if two (or more) players score an equal number of highest runs in the match. This means your stake will be divided by the number of players tied for the most runs. If two players are locked in a tie, you’ll get half of your winnings; if three players are involved, you’ll get a third, and so forth.
- If you bet on a player who eventually does not feature in the Playing XI, your stake is refunded.
- If you bet on a player who does not get to bat in the game, it will be settled as a lost wager.
- If the game is suspended early because of inclement weather, there is a minimum quota for overs (differing across formats) for the bet to stand. This number varies from one bookie to the next. Below is what 10CRIC stipulates:
Explained: Top Batsman Betting Across Formats
A lot of thought goes into predicting the top batsman (in a game) for each format, as someone like KL Rahul, who plays well in T20s, might not perform the same way in Tests.
We’ll discuss below the main attributes one must possess to be his team’s standout batter so you can make an informed decision while wagering on this market. You can pair this with information from some of India’s leading cricket betting analysis websites.
Top Batsman Betting in Tests
Test cricket is all about persistence, dogged determination, and the will to put a price tag on one’s wicket. To be a successful batsman in the longest format of the game, one’s got to have technique, stamina, concentration, and resilience.
- When searching for the highest run-scorer in a test match, try and pick someone with a career average of around 50.
- To further weed out players, select the ones with the most half-centuries (and above) in their Test career.
- Additionally, do some prior research on the match venue and the wicket to determine how that could impact the players’ chances of hanging in there at the middle and amassing the maximum runs for his team.
Top Batsman Betting in ODIs
Think of ODIs to be the sort of middle ground between Test matches and T20s. Of course, it’s nowhere near as demanding as a Test, but one’s still got to hang on to his wicket and bat out 50 overs.
- Now, considering the number of overs is capped at 50, chances are the top and the middle-order batsmen will spend the most time at the wicket. This makes the batting position an essential determinant (alongside batting average and the kind of form he’s in) when dabbling in the top batsman market.
- Then there’s the pitch and the weather at play as well. For example, overcast conditions favour pace and swing, whereas a dry, sunny day gets batsmen licking their lips. You can check out this explainer on how the weather can have a significant impact on batting and bowling.
Top Batsman Betting in T20Is
Things change drastically in T20s. The batter’s got to score at a decent strike rate while, of course, ensuring a long stay at the wicket. This format challenges many batsmen as the pressure to score fast and score big can get to a lot of players:
- Remember that T20s are just for, well, 20 overs. So go for batters in the top- and middle-order, considering they usually get to spend a longer time in the middle. However, this equation can change quickly should the bowling side manage to take a few quick wickets.
- A T20 specialist ought to have a good strike rate, typically above the 120-mark. That said, batting average is an equally crucial parameter when it comes to top batsman betting in the shortest format of the sport. Therefore, the higher the strike rate, the better. But also keep an eye out for the batter’s average as that will tell you how many runs he’s expected to score per match.
- As an example, Evin Lewis has a strike rate of 155.5 and a batting average of nearly 31. This means, on average, you can expect the Trinidadian to hit 30-odd runs off 20 balls per game. Which isn’t exceptional batting, but a handy, quickfire innings for sure.
Tips to Make Money in the Top Batsman Betting Market
To consistently make money in betting markets like the top batsman, you need to predict the results with statistics and data accurately.
In test cricket, just selecting players with a higher endurance is not enough. Make sure they have a high career batting average and a decent number of half-centuries and centuries in their test career.
Since ODIs have a limited number of overs, ensure that the batsman you select plays within the first five batting positions. Also, try and avoid betting on the team that bats second in the game, as they’re more focused on chasing the score, which might result in average run scorers.
In T20I, concentrate on players with the highest batting strike rate and batting average. If you refer to the IPL batting stats table above, it tells you the number of runs they scored in all the matches to get the strike rate. Select players with consistent stats on the higher side and make sure they’re openers.
For more top batsman tips, and an in-depth look at betting and predictions in IPL, head over to IPL Betting Online.
All The Top Batsman At Present
These are the ICC rankings of the top five batsmen across the three formats:
Top Batsmen in Test
- Marnus Labuschagne
- Joe Root
- Steve Smith
- Kane Williamson
- And finally, Virat Kohli, one of the top Indian batsmen of all time
Top Batsmen in ODI
- Babar Azam
- Virat Kohli
- Rohit Sharma
- Quinton de Kock
- Aaron Finch
Top Batsmen in T20Is
- Babar Azam
- Mohammad Rizwan
- Aiden Markram
- David Malan
- Devon Conway
Top Batsman Betting FAQs
What are the best betting apps for top batsman betting?
Is there any rule, as such, for top batsman betting?
Yes, quite a few actually. But probably the most important one is for you to remember that if you wager on a player who doesn’t eventually feature in the Playing XI, it will be considered a losing bet.
How is a player’s career batting average calculated?
Batting average is the total runs scored divided by the number of times he’s been dismissed in all his innings. For example, Ramesh plays 10 games, bats in 8 innings, and scored 10 runs in each. However, he remained not out on 2 occasions. Therefore, his average = 80/(8-2) = 13.33.
What does a player’s batting strike rate mean?
The batting strike rate is basically the number of runs a player would score every 100 balls. It is calculated as: (runs scored / balls faced x 100). So, if a batsman scores 20 off 10 balls, his strike rate = 20 / 10 x 100 = 200.
CricketBettingAdvice Final Say
The top batsman betting market is filled with opportunities to score big, as the odds for each player vary drastically, and the outcome is highly predictable in some circumstances.
Knowing how to read a player’s statistics can significantly increase your chances of turning a decent profit.
The Cricket Betting Advice team of writers are all defined by one goal: to provide you with the best online cricket betting content on the web.